(706) 453-7716     info@greenecountyga.gov

Building Inspection & Zoning

Click here to pay for Building Permits online.

***Contractors: Request an inspection by clicking here.

Office Info

Phone: 706-453-3333

Fax: 706-453-2579

Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Address: 1034 Silver Drive, Suite 103, Greensboro, GA 30642

Email address: permits@greenecountyga.gov

To view recent Building Permit Activity, go to the Open Government section of the website here.

Planning & Zoning Commission Meeting Agenda

Planning & Zoning Board: Last Tuesdays at 4 p.m. For a list of the Planning and Zoning Commission members, click here.

Click here for Meeting Agenda

Current Permit Fee Schedule

Click here for Permit Fee Schedule

Permit Applications 

In order to view, navigate, and print PDF documents, you'll need the free Acrobat Reader software. If you don’t already have it, you can download a free reader at Adobe’s website (external link).  


      ???  Is a Greene County Building Permit Required for a FREE-STANDING Building?  (The attached information does NOT apply to additions or renovations. 

      ??? What Type of Erosion Control Plans are Needed?

      ???  What Inspections are Needed and When?

      ???  What is the Schedule of Fees?

Review the Inspection Procedures here.


**New Residential Building Permit Application

**New Commercial Building Permit Application

Address Application

Commercial Affidavit 

Demolition Permit

Dock & Seawall Permit Application

     * Dock Construction Standards - Dock Plan and Pier Layout (Print size is 24"x36")

Driveway Permit Application

Electric Permit Application (if not new construction)

Energy Permit Application

Energy Code Compliance Certificate

Fire-pit / Outdoor Fireplace / Grill Permit Application

Gas Permit Application

Homeowner Affidavit

HVAC Permit Application (if not new construction)

Land Disturbance Permit

Low Voltage Permit Application (if not new construction)

Manufactured Home Permit Application

Plumbing Permit Application (if not new construction)

Public Right of Way Utilities Permit

Sign Permit

Sign Permit for Special Events NOT in the Lake Corridor Sign Overlay (LCSO) District

Sign Permit for Special Events in the Lake Corridor Sign Overlay (LCSO) District

Swimming Pool Permit Application

Tent or Membrane Structure Permit Application

Curbside Fee Removal Guidelines

Curbside Fee Removal Guidelines 

On July 20, 2004, the Greene County Board of Commissioners passed the resolutions on Sanitation Service Tax Assessment. It states that an annual fee for the provisions of sanitation services shall be assessed per-parcel of real residentially improved property within Greene County.

In May of 2011 the Board of Commissioners in an effort to provide for the Exemptions of the Curbside Service Fee on Unlivable and/or Dilapidated Dwellings voted to establish a standing Policy superseding any County provisions to the contrary that homes classified as dilapidated and/or unlivable shall be exempt from future assessment, not retroactive exemption, of the annual curbside service fee provided that such dwelling has been made safe through perimeter fencing, boarding-up of entry points, or other similar steps such that the general public is reasonably protected from danger, and that such dwelling has no power run to the structure and no plumbing fixtures within the structure.

As a property owner/s or legal guardian/s with a dwelling unit on your property you have some choices in resolving this matter. Special Note: If you bring your property into compliance any time after January 1st of a given year then the fee is still due for that year.

Your Choices Are:

  1. Obtain a Demolition Permit and remove the dwelling from your property. This must be done in a manner that all debris is removed from the property. (*State Law now mandates that all building materials, even wood that has been used in the construction of a structure, shall not be burned or buried).
  2. Obtain a Moving Permit from the Building and Zoning Department and move the dwelling/structure to another approved location in or out of the county.

  3. Make the dwelling safe through perimeter fencing (fencing shall be no closer than the highest point of the structure to the dwelling and no lower than five feet), boarding-up of entry points (boarding shall meet the safety requirements of Appendix A, Boarding Standard of the International Property Maintenance Code 2009, Sections 101, 102, and 103), or other similar steps such that the general public is reasonably protected from danger, and that such dwelling has no power run to the structure, and no plumbing fixtures within the structure.

It is the Property Owner/s responsibility to maintain the dwelling in a safe state of compliance. At any time after a dwelling has been brought into compliance and the curbside tax dropped, a structure is found altered in any way, boarding has been removed from any window or door, the perimeter fence has been breeched or taken down, electricity has been ran to the dwelling, or bath or kitchen fixtures replaced by the owner, tenant, leaser, or by vandalism then the owner will be contacted and given a period of time, not to exceed thirty (30) days to make the necessary corrections. At the end of thirty (30) days the property will be inspected. If the corrections have not been made to bring the dwelling back into compliance then the curbside fee will be reassigned to the property.

We have presented three (3) options for you to consider relative to the removal of the curbside fees. Please review these options, take the appropriate steps to bringing the dwelling into compliance, and contact our office for details on inspections. All fees are collected in advance of inspections. Paying of the fees does not constitute the removal of the tax. The dwelling / property shall meet the established standards to be in compliance. Once you receive this option package and choose to bring a structure into compliance; you are required to obtain the proper permits.

If you have any questions, please contact our office at (706) 453-3333.



Logging (Timber Harvesting) Form
 Click here for the Custom Timber Harvesting Form
Mobile Home Permit Procedures

Manufactured Home Permit Procedures

The manufactured home MUST NOT be put on the lot until the manufactured home permit is approved. A double fee will be assessed  if this occurs. Putting the home on the property DOES NOT assure you of a permit.

Pre-owned manufacture Home(s) MUST BE INSPECTED by the building inspector/code enforcement officer before entering the county. This service includes a fee for the inspection ($50.00) plus a fee for mileage to be paid in advance.

Minimum square footage of mobile manufactured home must be 1000 Sq. ft. unless placed in a mobile home park.

Please check zoning for the property to make sure a mobile/manufactured home is allowed. Only one home is allowed on each plat of property.   A permission letter must be submitted from the city of jurisdiction.

The applicant must provide the following:


  1. If you are going to have a new septic system or have an existing system, you must first contact the Health Department. There is a fee for this service. This could take up to twenty working days to complete. You cannot get a permit from us until we have a copy of your permit from them or a copy of the approval for the existing system. Call 706-453-7561. A final inspection is required from the Health Department before electricity can be approved for the home.
  2. A copy of the plat of the property, indicating the setbacks and any existing structure(s). You may get this information at the Clerk of Superior Court Office (706-453-3340). The fee is for the copy only. You will also need a Tax ID Number. This information is available at the Tax Assessor’s office (706-453-3355) or the GIS office (706-453-0881).
  3. PT-41 Form from mobile/manufactured home dealer. If you are buying a used home (other than a dealership) a bill of sale with the size, serial number, year, make, model along with the purchase price and a copy of the paid tax bill for the previous year. If this is not available, you must have the previous owner’s name and address and which county the home is being moved from.
  4. You must register the home with the Tax Commissioner’s Office. You will need the information from #3 along with the permit application from the Building Department. The Tax Commissioner’s Office will issue a decal. We must have a copy of the decal before we can issue a permit.
  5. A signed application with fee. The fee is determined by square footage of mobile/manufactured home multiply by .20 (20 cents/sqft) The application will be reviewed by the Building Department
  6. If you do not have an established driveway refer to driveway inspection details below.
  7. An electrical permit will also need to be purchased prior to an inspection for permanent power from the building department. Electrical permit application must be accompanied by a copy of the state license and county business license with a picture ID of the applicant. Permit must be purchased before starting work
  8. You will be given a Green Card with the mobile home permit number. This card must be posted at the driveway entrance so it can be seen from the road. The inspector will sign the card after each inspection. No inspections will be done without the card being posted.


**Pre-owned manufactured homes:

Prospective owner must comply with standards for installation of pre-owned manufactured home ordinance.


1st Inspection: Footing- after the lot has been cleared, graded and before the footings are ready to be poured. The lot must be graded so no water will run under the house before electric power can be turned on.

2nd Inspection: Septic hook up and tie downs- after the home has been tied down, the septic tank  must be hooked up before the underpinning is installed. Spacing and location of piers and pads shall be per manufacturer’s specifications. All other foundations and tie-down requirements shall meet the Georgia State specification for manufactured housing according to the Georgia Department of Community Affairs.

3rd Inspection: Skirting, landings, electrical and water- When the home is complete and ready for electrical service. The skirting must be installed. A minimum 3’ x 3’ landing with steps at each door is required. If over 30” above ground grade, rails are also required. Water must be connected to mobile/manufacture home. skirting must be solid, e.g., vinyl, brick, block, no lattice. Final inspection from Health Department for sewage system must be done and on file in our office. We will notify Rayle or GA power. A CO will be issued at this time.

Driveway Inspection: If the lot is located on a county road, before construction of the driveway- Please contact the Road Department at 706-453-3342. If the property is located on a State Highway, you must contact the GA State DOT office at 706-343-5836. Driveway permit is required.

Address- If you need an address assigned, please advise when applying for a mobile/manufactured home permit.

Do not move the mobile/manufactured home into the county without first getting your permit to avoid any penalties.

Electrical Permit- This must be permitted from the building department. Power will not be granted until all code requirements have been met and a notice of service sent to the power company by the building department.


___Septic System Permit                                                             
___Electric Permit (Set up account at Power Company)
___Plat of property                                                                        
___Driveway Permit (If county road)
___PT-41 or Bill of Sale                                                                  
___ Mobile Home Permit Application                                      
___Letter of permission from City of jurisdiction



Zoning Ordinance & Zoning Map

Click here for the Zoning Ordinance. Click here for the Zoning Map.

Subdivision Regulations

Click here for the Subdivision Regulations.


Before a building permit can be issued, the following must be presented to the building, planning, and zoning office:

  1. If applicable, a copy of the on-site sewage treatment permit authorized by the county Health Department. A final inspection report from Health Dept will need to be on file before CO is issued.
    706-453-7561 or 706-453-0965  
  2. A completed Application with ALL pertinent information signed by the Licensed Contractor.
  3. Two copies of the drawings and specifications, drawn to scale. One copy will be returned to the applicant stamped and must remain on job site at all times. The second copy will remain the property of Greene County.  

    One and Two Family Dwelling(s) Fees: Square footage multiplied by $0.29

    Other Permit Fees….See Fee Schedule  

  4. A copy of the plat showing the location of any existing structures and the location of any proposed structure being permitted.
  5. Any proposed construction occurring within 200’ of state water or on a site larger than 1.0 acres must furnish an erosion control plan. Greene County utilizes the review sheets provided by the state from the manual for erosion and sedimentation control in Georgia, for review of the erosion control plan. (Erosion control plan shall bear the seal of a registered professional.) 

Permit must be purchased BEFORE starting work.

Applications for construction in the following categories must be accompanied with drawing showing the seal of a registered professional engineer or architect licensed in the state of Georgia.

  1. All Group A, E, and I occupancies. (Assembly, Educational, Institutional)
  2. Building and structures three stories or more high.
  3. Building and structure 5,000 Sq. Ft. or more in area

Erosion Control

It is the permit holder’s or his agent’s responsibility to insure that installation of the approved erosion plan is implemented and maintained at all times. (See message inside of permit card.)


A street address will be assigned to your lot by the 911 Center staff. To fill out that application, click here. The number must be posted before either any inspections will be done or permits issued.


Upcoming Events

Board of Commissioners Regular Meeting

February 11, 2020 @ 5:00 pm - 12:00 am
To view the meeting agenda, click here.

Airport Authority Board Meeting

February 20, 2020 @ 8:00 am - 12:00 am
Meetings are open to the public.