This Policy is established by the Greene County Board of Commissioners to provide guidelines for use by the Board in the appointment process to all of the various boards and authorities where appointments are made by the Board of Commissioners.
As a general statement and underlying principle, people invited to serve the County by becoming members of its important non-elected boards and authorities should:
- Be people of competence, good will and sound, objective judgment;
- Be drawn from new and long-time residents alike;
- Be truly interested in the welfare of Greene County and all its residents;
- Be sensitive to the long-term as well as immediate impact of their decisions and recommendations;
- Be willing and able to devote the time and energy necessary to fulfill their responsibilities;
- Have some relevant background, involvement, education, and/or interest in the role of the respective board or authority.
It is the intention of the Board of Commissioners to appoint Greene County citizens to represent Greene County on all boards and authorities. Any individual appointed to a board or authority is expected to maintain residency in Greene County. The Board of Commissioners must approve any exception made for an individual who does not reside in Greene County at the time of the appointment or thereafter. Should their residency change at any time a letter of notification shall immediately be sent to the County Manager by the appointed person and the Board will determine if a resignation shall be requested.
Although recognizing and appreciating that members of the various boards and authorities are generally citizen volunteers, the Board of Commissioners deems it essential that members of all county boards and authorities attend meetings regularly for the prompt and efficient transaction of public business. It is the Board of Commissioners’ Policy to require attendance at 75% of regularly scheduled board and authority meetings during a calendar year, and that no appointee miss more than three consecutive meetings. The Chairman and/or responsible party of any board or authority shall notify the County Manager of any attendance deficiency, who shall in turn bring the matter to the Board of Commissioners for consideration. Additionally, should any member of the Board of Commissioners, through staff or otherwise, become aware of attendance deficiency by a Board-appointed individual, then such matter shall be brought to the Board of Commissioners for consideration.
No person shall serve on more than two appointed boards and/or authorities at one time as appointees of the Board of Commissioners. No person shall be appointed (including reappointments) to any board or authority if such person owes delinquent taxes or fees that are past-due to Greene County.
Modification of Requirements:
Because of the need for flexibility, the Board of Commissioners may by, a simple majority vote, decide to waive, vary, or otherwise modify the requirements of this policy on a case-by-case basis. Unless otherwise specified in Law or County Code, the Board of Commissioners may in its discretion at any time remove any members of any boards or authorities.
The Board will only consider candidates for appointment who have completely, properly, and accurately completed a Candidate Questionnaire. Current appointed members being considered for reappointment shall not be required to complete the Candidate Questionnaire.
Effective Date and Application:
This Policy shall become effective upon adoption, and shall supersede and prevail over any other County Policy. In addition, this Policy shall supplement Ordinance provisions and Georgia Law in cases where such application does not constitute a conflict. The Board shall consider this Policy when making appointments and reappointments.
Non-inclusive list of Boards and Authorities:
- Airport Authority
- Development Authority
- Lake Oconee Area Development Authority
- Northeast Georgia Regional Solid Waste Authority
- Planning and Zoning Board
- Tax Assessors Board
- Board of Elections and Registration
- Northeast Georgia Regional Commission
- Recreation Board
- Library Board
- Board of Health
- Family Connection Commission
- Tourism Committee
- Department of Family and Children Services Board
- ACTION, Inc. Board
- Community Services Board (Advantage Behavioral Health Systems)
- Georgia Department of Behavioral Health & Developmental Disabilities Regional Planning Board