Zoning Administration Division
Zoning, Ordinances Permitted Uses & Overlay Districts
Zoning refers to regulations which primarily pertain to permitted uses of land, as well as the size, height and placement of structures. They are set in place to promote public health, safety, and general welfare, and to protect and preserve areas of historical, cultural, or architectural significance. Additionally, the Zoning Ordinance contains requirements for off-street parking, signage, and visual compatibility within districts.
Zoning districts are established to promote compatible patterns of land use within the county. Each district also has site development standards to maintain a consistent and compatible development pattern specific to each area of the county.
An ordinance is a law or regulation adopted by Greene County. The authority of Greene County to enact ordinances is derived from the Official Code of Georgia. Ordinances are enacted by Greene County to protect and maintain the public health, safety, welfare, and morals of its citizenry. The Greene County Code of Ordinances can be viewed online.
Permitted Uses is any use by right that is specifically authorized in a particular zoning district. To find out what uses are permitted within a given zoning district, consult the Greene County Code of Ordinances appendix B - Zoning.
In unincorporated Greene County there are also unique communities that have established a character all of their own. To protect and direct the future growth in these areas, the Board of Commissioners has adopted special Overlay Districts.
Zoning Administration Responsibilities
The Zoning Administration is responsible for the administration, interpretation, and enforcement of the Greene County Code of Ordinances. The Zoning Administration Division can provide information about the zoning of properties, permitted uses, building setbacks, parking and landscape requirements, and sign regulations. Other responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Interact with citizens, businesses, developers to assist with the understanding and implementing of the Greene County Code of Ordinances
- Review various applications, site plans, etc. for compliance with Greene County Ordinances
- Coordinate the review of all rezoning, conditional use permits, and variances request
- Inspect the applicable sites to ensure complete review of applications.
- Prepare various reports, packages, and presentations for the Board of Planning and Zoning and public review
- Communicate the appropriate process and review with all interested parties
- Acknowledge decision of appropriate Boards and ensure records reflect accordingly
Greene County Zoning Map
To locate the zoning of a property, refer to QPublic. When searching properties on the map, make sure to select, County Zoning in the Legend. Refer to the following image for an example.
Do not use the description in the report summary view labeled "class" this is not your zoning classification. See the following example:
The zoning map divides land within Greene County unincorporated into separate districts within which uses are either permitted, prohibited or permitted with conditions.