Lake Oconee Academy
Lake Oconee Academy (LOA), is a public charter school located on Carey Station Road approximately 8 miles (14 minutes) from the Greene County mega-site. LOA was the highest performing state charter school in Georgia according to CCRPI (College and Career Ready Performance Index) rankings for 2016. Based on 2017 advanced placement (AP) courses and exams, LOA earned the designation as a 2018 AP Honor School in the AP Challenge School, AP Merit School and AP Humanities School categories. LOA opened its doors in 2007 and, now, with over 940 students from Pre-K to 12th grade for the 2017-18 school year, it is Greene County’s largest public school.
A charter school is a public school that is operating under the terms of a “charter” or contract. In Georgia, a startup or locally approved charter school such as LOA has a charter that is approved by three parties - the GA State Board of Education, the local school district, and the board of the charter petitioner or applicant. A charter school is an independent public school that operates autonomously from the district board of education. It is typically under the direction of a CEO or dean that oversees all grades. LOA is funded like every school in Greene County from State and Local funds directed to the Greene County School System for the education of its students. The students at LOA are part of the Greene County School System.
LOA has recently completed an expansion to include a 20,000 square foot, two-story classroom building (Photo L) which serves as the academic centerpiece of the upper school. This high school classroom building includes:
- Learning spaces for traditional instruction as well as breakout areas
- 17 high school classrooms, including two fully equipped science labs
- Dedicated offices for key support staff, including the school & college counselor, and high school principal
- Administrative offices, conference room, and staff work areas
- Wide corridors and student lockers
A two-story, 32,000 square foot Student Activity (Photo R) provides extracurricular and dining facilities for the upper school students and common areas to benefit the entire student body. This facility includes:
- A large commons area with seating that can be used for student dining, receptions, or as a gathering space with comfortable seating and a snack bar
- A Gym that seats 800, fitness center, locker rooms, and training room
- Ample additional space for offices and storage, Full kitchen