Red-lining Building Plans Ceased August 1, 2022
The Greene County Building and Zoning Office ceased red-lining and permitting building plans designed and dated after August 1, 2022. Moving forward from this date any plan review resulting in plans delineating deficiency’s or lack of information provided, you can expect to receive a review sheet with comments, all the comments will need to be addressed by your plan’s designer prior to approval (the same way we now handle erosion control plans).
Examples of the Required Items on Building Plans
- Place a note on the front sheet calling for drip edge on all eaves and/or include roof details delineating the required drip edge;
- Label all door & window sizes on each plan sheet. Also provide if emergency egress and/or tempered glass is required;
- Add a note if there is to be an elevator that “Shaft is to have a minimum 1-hour fire rating”.
- Add a note if there is to be a bar/drink station “Receptacle spacing to be same as kitchen”;
- Provide a detail for all narrow wall bracing and garage side walls. Your detail should be code compliant and indicate the height of the wall, width of the wall, material used, nail patterns, and the method of narrow wall bracing utilized from the 2018 International Residential Code;
- Provide span charts for floor joist, ceiling joist, stud heights, beams, and roof rafters. This chart should indicate the grade of material to be utilized, type of material, spacing, and span lengths;
- Indicate chase tops as required with a note;
- Ensure egress requirements are met. Label the egress door on the plan and/or in the chart;
- Provide a typical detail for stair lengths, riser heights, tread depths, handrail/grabrail installation heights, guardrail designs, guardrail installation heights, and spindle spacing;
- Provide deck details for any free-standing or attached decks, including span charts, post attachments, elevations, stair placements, joist spacing, ledger board attachment diagrams, rail heights and picket designs;
- Provide a note indicating moisture barrier required on wall details.
- Provide locations and types of material to be utilized, in sealing unconditioned spaces from conditioned spaces;
- Provide insulation to be installed, spray foam or batt, including R-values (This information will be required on the building application);
- Indicate electrical service size for dwellings over 5,000 square feet. “Load calculations maybe requested during the review process” (This information will be required on the building application);
- Indicate number of mechanical units to be installed and tonnage of units for dwellings over 5,000 square feet “Load calculations maybe requested during the review process” (This information will be required on the building application);
- Provide a note indicating that all electrical, plumbing, low-voltage, and HVAC is to be installed bypassing all engineered beams without notching or drilling such beams.
- All engineered floor system drawings must be submitted to the office in a digital format before the issuance of certificate of occupancy can be issued.
- Provide total square footage of each story including any storage, unfinished or mechanical area.
This is NOT a complete list of all required codes adopted by the Department of Community Affairs. Other codes will apply in the construction of your project, this list is in addition to the information previously provided on residential plans. The addition of this information covers the basic information required for plan reviews pertaining to residential dwellings and their structural components.