Where to Apply
Deadline to Apply for Homestead Exemption
The deadline to apply for homestead exemption is April 1st for the exemption to be applied to the current year's property taxes. Even though the deadline for this year has passed, you may still complete the application for the exemption. Any applications received after April 1 will qualify for the exemption the following year.
Documents Required to Complete the Application
You must upload all the required documents before the application can be submitted. The following documents are required.
- Picture ID of the homeowner showing the address of the property where the Homestead Exemption will be applied. (ex. Driver's License, state issued ID card.)
- Car Registration with the address of the property where the Homestead Exemption will be applied. If you do not have a car or it is not registered in Greene County, a letter of explanation must be submitted in its place.
If you do not have a car registered in Greene County, you must submit one or more of the following documents.
- Recorded Deed (A copy of the recorded deed should be in your closing packet from the purchase of the home. If you do not have a copy, one can be obtained from the Clerk of the Superior Court.)
- Utility Bill in your name showing the address of the property where the Homestead Exemption will be applied. (ex. water, gas or electric)
- Voter's Registration
Documents Needed for Additional Exemptions
- If applying for 100% Permanently and Totally Disabled, a Doctor’s Affidavit must be completed. (ex. A letter from your doctor.)
- If applying for Veteran’s Exemption 100% Permanently and Totally Disabled, a V.A. Letter is required.
- If applying for Low Income Exemption, the last filed Federal & State tax returns are required.
Multiple Homestead Exemptions
You are only allowed to possess a homestead exemption on one property.
- If you possess homestead exemption in another county, request a letter from that county stating the homestead has been removed.
How to Complete a Homestead Exemption Application
Navigate to the qPublic website.
Step 1 - Enter the address of where the Homestead Exemption will be applied.
Step 2 - Click Search
Click on Apply for Homestead Exemption.
Answer all the questions and upload all required documents and then click Submit.