Zoning Application Guidelines
All applications are reviewed by the Zoning Administration Staff, the Greene County Planning and Zoning Board, and the Board of Commissioners. The following steps outline the application process:
- An application is submitted to the Greene County Building and Zoning office. Applications must be submitted in person. Please refer to the Public Hearing Schedule for filing deadlines and public hearing dates. Greene County Building and Zoning office is located at:
1034 Silver Drive
Greensboro, GA 30642
- The Zoning Administration Division reviews the application and makes both a written recommendation and an oral presentation at public hearing.
- The Zoning Administration will place a legal notice in the Herald Journal newspaper at least 15 days before the first public hearing. The legal notice normally appears in the Thursday edition of the newspaper.
- A public hearing sign is posted on the property at least 15 days before the first public hearing.
- The Planning Commission reviews the facts in the case at its scheduled meeting. A recommendation is decided upon following the public hearing. This recommendation is forwarded to the Board of Commissioners. The Planning Commission generally meets on the last Tuesday of each month. Meetings are held at 4 pm at the Board of Commissioners board room.
- The Board of Commissioners generally meets on the second Tuesday of each month to consider applications. This meeting is held at 5 pm at the Board of Commissioners Board Room.
- Once an application is made, the applicant may withdraw the application without prejudice only before legal advertisement of a public hearing is placed in the newspaper. No application may be withdrawn by the applicant under any circumstance after the legal advertisement of a public hearing has been placed. All applications advertised shall receive final action by the Board of Commissioners. Written notification of withdrawal is required.
- If an application is withdrawn before placement of the legal advertisement, a refund of the application fee will be issued.
- No application or reapplication affecting the same land shall be acted upon with 12 months from the date of last action by the Board of Commissioners unless waived by the Board of Commissioners. A request to consider such a waiver is submitted to the Zoning Administration Division. In no case shall an application or reapplication be acted upon in less than 6 months from the date of last action by the Board of Commissioners.
- All applicants, their attorneys, or representatives, must submit information as required by the Official Code of Georgia Section 36-67A-1, et. Seq, Conflict of Interest in Zoning Actions.